Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bitter sweet...

So, I know it has been a long time since I posted, but I recently returned my work laptop and it has hampered my computer time. It is much more difficult to post when I have to come up to my office with little Raylee. The reason I had to return my work laptop is that I have officially resigned my position as teacher and cheer coach. I titled this post "bitter sweet" because this truly reflects how I feel about resigning. I am so thrilled about the opportunity to become a stay at home mom and be fortunate enough to watch my little girl grown up. I am not so naive to think that everyone has this opportunity, and I am confident that this is the right decision for MY family. However, this doesn't mean that I am not just a little bit sad to leave my love of teaching and coaching. Having a child, and making the decision to stay at home has changed my life completely. While many of the changes are welcomed, sometimes I am just not sure who that leaves me to be. I have always found my identity in my achievements, and I feel as if I have to now find a new identity. I am definitely a people person, and working with high school students was extremely rewarding for me. I will miss my students and cheerleaders terribly. As I resigned last Wednesday, I saw many sad and surprised expressions on my students faces. I am one who hates to disappoint, so this made me have a twinge of regret. My principal had only well wishes for me, and I know that I left an impression on my students and the faculty at my high school. I know I worked hard and even influenced a few special students, so it is hard to leave it all behind. I know the Lord has a great plan for my family, and I will trust in Him to find my new identity. Next to God, and my husband, Raylee is the most important person in my life, and I want to look forward and not backward to the blessings she will bring to it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

there is no better job in the world than the one you've just taken on. we are blessed beyond measure to have had the means to stay at home with our kids. i have zero regrets and have had no doubts about my decision. i know you won't either. you'll just measure your successes differently, now (by diapers and coos, rather than grades and comments from staff/students). there is nothing more rewarding, though. I promise! Wish we had been able to take the same year off :( Glad to have some time with you guys before heading back into reality next fall, though! Love you all!

Jennifer K said...

I know you'll find that the sadness of resigning will fade quickly! Especially as you get to treasure every bit of this time - it goes by so quickly that you'll be more than glad. There is plenty of time for heading back to the classroom someday - but babies are only babies for such a short time!